Thursday 6 March 2014

'Dhag' changed my Life Completely

As the highly acclaimed Marathi film Dhag releases on March 7, lead actor Usha Jadhav speaks to m4m about her work experience and the National Award


Nachiket Joshi

A simple girl from Kolhapur went to Mumbai with nothing but a zest to fulfill her dreams. Her struggle constitutes of a cameo in Madhur Bhandarkar’s Traffic Signal, short films like Gaali, Gubbare and Mumbai Trilogy, a few ad films and a television serial.
Marathi films have given her the real breakthrough. Usha Jadhav has finally arrived with Dhag. Her portrayal of the protagonist Yashoda in the film won her the Best Actress trophy at the National Awards 2013. She gets candid with m4m about her films, her new projects and her experiences of working in the industry.

Dhag is your first Marathi film, how were you cast in it?

There was no such process behind the selection of Dhag. It was a casual meeting at a random coffee shop between me, Nitin (Dixit – writer) and Shivaji Lotan Patil (Director) where I was cast as Yashoda. Vishal Gaware (producer) also confirmed my role afterwards. Besides Upendra, whole team was totally new for me, but I enjoyed working with them.

And then the National Award for Best Actress; what was the feeling?

It was unbelievable at the first instance. I never expected National Award for my first full fledge role. It changed my life completely. People started recognizing me as an actor. Directors started offering me roles directly (without audition). Bhootnath Returns is one of them.  

So you have maintained the track record of getting movies without giving the auditions.

(Big laugh) I am fortunate enough to get the movies without auditions. Madhur sir (Madhur Bhandarkar) gave me breakthrough in Traffic Signal without auditioning me. The same continued in Dhag and now Bhootnath Returns. I worked with Nitesh Tiwari (director of Bhootnath Returns) before in Kaun Banega Crorepati’s promotional advertisement. He has seen my work in short films like Gubbare and Gali. I think my work induced him to pick me for the film. (Laugh again)  


What after Dhag and Bhootnath Returns?

Right now, I am looking for a good script and role in Hindi as well as Marathi. I don’t want to be typecast as ‘Marathi bai’ in Hindi films; that is why I have refused many roles.  Going further I want to maintain variety in my work. 

Release date of Dhag has been postponed nearly by a year. What are your feelings and expectations from the film?

I am excited about the release and am eagerly waiting for the response of the audience. Fingers are crossed. And yes, the postponed release date will not affect the box office performance of the film. I would say people are waiting for the film and will surely love it. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment