Monday 14 April 2014

A story teller in the making

Internationally acclaimed director NagrajManjule narrates his journey in the filmmaking exclusively to m4m

Praveen Lulekar

Director NagrajManjule's short film Pistulyawas received with a rave response and it went on to write its name on the National Awards. Manjule is now stepping into the forte of feature films with Fandry. The film has been winning hearts at various national and international film festivals - at London, Mumbai, Dharamshala and Abu Dhabi among others.

This young director’s life itself looks like an extraordinary story into making with a beginning from a small village to gaining accolades from the world audience.

He talks about himself, about Fandry(thatis set to release early next year)and his views about cinema very frankly. Manjule’s self-mockery, his admiration for the works of his peers and the distinct absence of method in his art and his speech speak volumes about his down to earth nature. 

Tell us something about yourself, when did you discover the passion for film-making?

I liked to watch films from an early age. I didn’t know at that time that there is a person called director behind these moving images. But I had developed an interest in writing poetry and reading literature from my school days in a small village- Jeur based in the KarmalaTaluka of Solapur.
I particularly liked Bollywood films and I am still a die-hard fan of Amitabh Bachchan. I also watched off-beat works of ShyamBenegal, Hrishikesh Mukherjee and others. One of my friends, MithunChaudhary, was a teacher at the Department of Communication Studies at New Arts College in Ahmednagar. He persuaded me to join there. Friends and family encouraged equally. So, I became the student of my friend. I made Pistulya, my first short film there. It was widely appreciated and developed confidence in me.

What influences did you gather from watching films?

I watched Cinema Paradisowhen I was studying Mass Communication. I found a reflection of my life in that film. It inspired me and gave me a start to writing a story. I wrote Pistulyaa few days after that. Bicycle Thieves also influenced me. I was introduced to short films with UmeshKulkarni’s Girniand Mithun’s Compulsory Helmet.

You mentioned literature being in your basics. Do you think films can be an extension or even a type of literature?

I won’t say they are related directly. But story-telling is the common thread. Infact, in every art – sculpting, painting, singing, a story is told. Human beings have a deep need to express and find various ways to do so. I think film and literature may be connected in this aspect.
But literature gives more freedom to the reader. When I read Cindrella in school, she was like a girl in Karmala for me. Years later when I saw a film version of Cindrella, she was completely different.

What are the personal and social referencesto the story of Fandry?


Fandryis the story of an age of adolescence when everything seems possible. You take every little thing to heart at such a time. Today, as a grown up, I understand that I am not Amitabh and a girl will not necessarily like me. There is acceptance. At 14, you don’t understand this.
Any character cannot be isolated and seen without the reference of the society he or she lives in. In the Indian context, this becomes even more important as a person has a complex background that is based on caste, religion and so many other factors.

This is your first feature film but you have tasted success with Pistulya (received two national awards in 2011). Did you have the baggage of expectations on you?

The only expectation I have from myself is to do my work neatly. I have learnt this not from cinema, but from life that nothing goes as per plan. Life has ruthlessly destroyed some of my funny plans. You learn to accept. Your hair get grey, you get older. Just because you have put a lot of effort in your film doesn’t mean people should like it. The film should be good for that. I hope Fandrywill be liked.





0 comments:

Post a Comment