Monday 14 April 2014

A Unique Chemistry

Praveen Lulekar

The box-office opens in 2014 with one of the most awaited films – Ravi Jadhav’s Timepass (TP). The lasting impressions of Vishu from Balak-Palak (BP) and Shirodkar from Shaala will probably be still in our minds when we watch Prathmesh Parab and Ketaki Mategaonkar, the lead pair of TP. But the actors seem to be involved in a different chemistry here.
They talk about their careers and their roles in TP, exclusively to m4m.

Both of you have started your careers at an early age. What are the advantages and drawbacks of this?

Prathmesh – It feels great from within that people recognise us. There is an identity – in college, among friends, everywhere. The drawback is the flip side of the same - common life becomes difficult.

Ketaki – I think it depends on how you react to it. You cannot carry the filmy image in your friends’ circle. In fact, friends’ support you every time you experience a low.
Prathmesh – And friends also keep your feet on ground during your highs.

And how do your families support you?

Ketaki – I think parents are completely comfortable if they know you are not going to skip studies.  Not only family, but teachers help you in the process. And I also have my singing riyaaz  every day. My family motivates me for that.

Prathmesh – Trust is very important when it comes to family. If we are properly doing our studies, they do not stop us. If we shoot for 2-3 months, we are expected to study at least a month before the exam. There were definitely some problems initially, but we have started adjusting to them.

Coming to TP, what was the reason you selected the film?

Prathmesh – I think I connect with the subject easily as a college student. Our generation thinks of love as a Timepass, we will also think of marriage as a timepass. There is nothing wrong with fun, but we should also get serious where we need to be. I loved the subject. Also, Ravi Sir was the reason I jumped on the opportunity.

Ketaki – Even I loved the subject and the story. It is for the first time I get to do a full-fledge love story and I am really happy about it. Shaala had that theme of attraction, but this is complete romance and also comedy. Also, I get to sing song in rains (smiles).

 How did you two establish the chemistry on screen?


Prathmesh – Ravi Sir had a workshop for us. The strength of our acting skills gets tested when you are working in tandem. We need to understand each others’ strong and weak points. Also, the other’s good work pushes you to perform well.

Ketaki – Yes, that happens with me also. I think it is important that the wavelengths match. But more important is that the chemistry should be inbuilt in the script. If it is not there, it becomes difficult to work it out on screen.

Do you fear of getting typecast? Both of you did similar roles in Shaala and Balak-Palak (Mategaonkar and Parab respectively).

Ketaki – No, the characters in Shaala and TP are completely different. Shaala was in the 70’s, so the girl was more conservative – she walked with her eyes down and had those two plaits. For TP, I studied the mannerisms of the girls of the ‘80s. I watched Qayamat Se Qayamat Taq and Maine Pyar Kiya, obviously not to imitate but learn. The girls were very confident and practical.

Prathmesh – Contrarily, the boys of the ‘80s were very filmy. I think we should focus on the script and do our character properly. Vishu (Parab’s character in BP) was very advanced in the matters of love; Dagdu (his character in TP), hardly knows the first thing about love. I should understand these subtle differences. What is the ‘type’ of the character can be thought of later.



0 comments:

Post a Comment