Monday 14 April 2014

Mukta Unplugged

The versatile actress Mukta Barve talks to m4m about her new film LPK and her choice of roles 

By Praveen Lulekar

There is a striking self-assurance in her mannerism ditto the characters she has played recently. Mukta Barve’s latest protagonist in Lagn Pahaave Karun (LPK) is albeit different. She plays a young, career-oriented yet emotional, incomplete girl. The versatile actor talks about her choices of roles, her acting methods and her career in her characteristic straight-forward way, exclusively to m4m.

What were your preparation methods for your role in LPK?

I did not have to do much preparation apart from reading the script carefully. The script is very well written with the characters’ history and background elaborated precisely. So if the girl is sensitive, there are reasons that are depicted timely in the story. You will see these nuances in the film.

The costumes of the film are being talked about a lot. How much do these external factors help you in getting into the character?

All these factors are very important. A change of costume alters your body language altogether. If I am wearing a saree, I am a different person; if I wear a formal suit, I am different. Even a wrong sample of footwear can affect your posture.

What are your criteria of selecting a film?

The role should be different, to start with. I am in an audience’s role when I am reading the script for the first time. If I, as a spectator, would like to watch the script as a film, I definitely become a part of it. That is the defining factor for me. Of course, there are other factors like the production house, the co-actors etc.

And the commercial viability?

Yes of course, that is a very important factor. As I said, I consider for which production house am I working, the team etc. The current flow of your career also has to be understood. Like after doing a Ekaa Lagnachee Dusri Gosht, I can’t do a role of an eight-year-old child’s mother. Audience would not accept me in such a role. You have to take care of that image sometimes.

You have been working in films, television and theater. What adjustments do you have to do as you change medium?

I am doing the same job of acting everywhere. But all the three mediums are completely different. On stage, the audience is actually the editor. They pick up pieces of narrative according to their perspectives. That can change when the same person is watching the drama next time. For a film, everything happens from the director’s point of view. And television gives you the power to reach more and more people.    

Lastly, what is your dream role?

I don’t have any dream role as such. I would like to do a role that becomes a dream role for someone some day. I think that would be my dream role.


0 comments:

Post a Comment